Brightside is committed to protecting your privacy and the confidentiality of your personal information. This policy is designed to comply with applicable privacy legislation including Alberta’s Personal Information Protection Act (“PIPA”).
What is Personal Information
Personal information is any information that identifies you as an individual and may include your name, home address, contact information, date of birth, gender, unique identification numbers (including social insurance number, driver's license, birth certificate, passport), and personal financial records, including credit history. It does not include business contact information used for business purposes.
Your request for or use of Brightside products and services is your acknowledgement of the following:
Collecting and Keeping Your Personal Information Accurate
Brightside will treat your personal information in accordance with applicable privacy legislation and any written agreement between you and Brightside.
You agree to provide Brightside with true, accurate, and complete personal information. This applies to all personal information you give in the future in connection with any application or agreement for products and services.
You agree to help keep the personal information held by Brightside up to date through prompt notification of changes to your telephone number, address, email, or other personal information.
You consent to Brightside, from time to time, to collect personal information about you. You acknowledge receipt of notice that Brightside may collect your personal information from you as well as from any third party where it’s reasonable to do so, including any credit reporting agency, institution, other credit grantor, mobile service provider, your current or former employer or any other person, corporation, organization, or other entity. Where applicable, Brightside may also collect your motor vehicle information from Alberta Registries (or any other provincial government department having jurisdiction in that area).
Using and Disclosing your Personal Information
Brightside may use or disclose your personal information as follows:
- To verify your identity;
- To assess your initial and ongoing eligibility for credit for Brightside products and services;
- For any purpose related to the provision of services you request from Brightside;
- To comply with legal and regulatory requirements. This may include but is not limited to:
- income tax reporting for products that generate income (which includes your social insurance number), and
- Investigations pursuant to legislation or law enforcement, or disclosure to government agencies, regulatory authorities, public bodies, other entities, or self regulatory bodies. The regulatory authorities may use and disclose your personal information for investigation and enforcement purposes;
- To promote Brightside or third-party products and services.
Third Party Vendors
Out of Canada Service Provider Policy
Brightside and ATB Financial may share your personal information with third parties or agents within or outside of the Province of Alberta or Canada with whom we contract for the purposes of managing your relationship with us, and the products or services you request. Such personal information in the custody and control of a third party or agent in another province or country is subject to the laws of that jurisdiction. Your personal information may be collected, or disclosed by such third parties or agents without your knowledge or consent where required or permitted by law. You can access our Out of Canada Service Providers Statement for details of where we may store your personal information outside of Canada. If you have questions about the collection, use or disclosure of your personal information outside of Canada, you may contact our Chief Privacy Officer by email at PrivacyOfficer@atb.com.
You may request that Brightside not use your personal information for marketing purposes at any time as long as:
- There are no legal requirements for Brightside to use your personal information;
- Withdrawing your consent does not result in our inability to fulfill any agreement you have with us; and
- You withdraw your consent by connecting with us through the chat function in the Brightside app.
- By withdrawing consent we will not contact you with any marketing or promotions (but, this means you won't be able to learn about the new and cool stuff we're doing!)
Please note that withdrawing your consent for marketing purposes will not prevent Brightside from sending you notices, directly or via a third party, that we believe help us serve your financial needs.
Retention of Personal Information
If you are no longer a customer of Brightside, Brightside may keep your personal information on record for as long as it is required for the described purposes and to meet any and all legal, legislative, and regulatory requirements.
Accessing Your Personal Information
If you wish to review, inquire about, or verify your own personal information, please connect with us through the chat function in the Brightside app or email our Privacy Officer at PrivacyOfficer@atb.com. Brightside is permitted by legislation to charge a reasonable fee for an access request. If a fee is to be charged, you will be provided with a fee estimate in advance.
Certain privacy legislation, including the Personal Information Protection Act (PIPA), states Brightside may not be able to provide you with some of the personal information we hold or have held about you. Such situations include but are not limited to cases in which the information:
- mentions other persons;
- is subject to solicitor-client privilege;
- is no longer retained by Brightside; or
- cannot be disclosed for legal, enforcement, or investigative reasons.
If we cannot give you access to such Personal Information, we will explain why.
If you are concerned about the collection, use or disclosure of your personal information, please contact our Customer Success Team here for more information.