There may be a few reasons why you're running into issues with creating your Brightside profile. For your privacy and protection, we're unable to provide specific reasons why this is happening. You can check the list of scenarios below to see if any of them apply to you.
1) Your personal information:
- You’ve recently moved (if this is the case, update your information with Equifax and/or TransUnion).
- Your first, last or middle name has changed.
- You’ve moved from a different province or country, and are a new resident of Alberta or citizen of Canada.
- You’re not a resident of Alberta.
2) Information on your credit file:
- Is your credit file less than 3 years old?
- Do you have a credit file in Canada?
- Do you have credit or fraud monitoring turned "on"?
In order for us to verify your identity, we match up the information you have provided with the information that the credit reporting agencies (Equifax and/or TransUnion) have (this does not affect your credit score). If the information doesn't match, or if there isn't enough (any) information, we're unable to verify you and likely the reason why it's causing trouble for you.
To update your info - you'll need to print a form, include any necessary docs, and mail it.
You have more options! You can update your info online, by phone, or by mail.
3) Are you opening this bucket for someone else?
If you're opening this bucket for someone else, there is more information we need from you. Without getting too banky, the Government has a program that fights the money laundering bad guys, and we need to share this information with them to help them out.
4) Do you pay taxes outside of Canada?
If you pay taxes outside of Canada, or do not pay taxes anywhere, there is more information we need from you. Again, without getting super banky, Canada and the US have an agreement and we need to share this information with the Government for tax reporting purposes. You can read more about it by clicking here.
We know this is frustrating, and we want nothing more than for you to be a Brightsider. In the majority of the instances we've seen people fail, it's because of a mismatch of the information (and sometimes it's the wrong information).